Last updated 2/27/2023
Collection of Information
When you connect your wallet and social media on the UTU App, we collect some data of your connected wallet and social media accounts to enable UTU’s trust mechanism, which is based on social relationships between users.
Further, when you use UTU on integrating websites or from our extension, certain information about the visited website, your device and your browser is sent to UTU’s backend. This may include your IP address, browser type and version, and the pages you visit. While we create entities in our databases to represent visited domains and URLs, this is done in a way that is not linked to the user. However, log files might also contain some of this information. Log files are kept for no more than 4 weeks.
Additionally, if agreed by the user, we may collect information about your interactions with our extension, such as the features you use the most or the actions you take within the extension. This information is used to gain insights into how users are interacting with our extension and to inform future development efforts.
Type of Information Collected
Personal information you disclose to us.
We collect personal information that you provide to us when you connect your wallet and social media on the UTU App, or that you might voluntarily on other channels. ****This information is stored in UTU’s private backend databases, but the user is provided control over how their data will be used and retained (see Data Rights for Browser Extension Users Section).
Some of this information, such as the user’s wallet address and hashed social media account ids, are also stored on public blockchains.
Personal Information Provided by you. The personal information that we collect depends on the context of your interactions with us and the Services, the choices you make, and the products and features you use. The personal information we collect may include the following:
- Social media or other account or decentralised ids;
- Email addresses;
- Phone number;
- Device ID;
- Public or private blockchain wallet addresses;
- Transactional information that is publicly available (e.g. on public blockchains) or otherwise made available to UTU with the user’s consent ;
- Other social media information that UTU is granted access to;
- Endorsements of identifiable entities from your connected wallet address on public blockchains as per UTU Protocol ;
- Video, text, star rating, badges or other feedback that is voluntarily given on the UTU Browser Extension.
- Other information that you choose to share using UTU’s products or blockchain addresses including smart contracts.
Use of Information
We use the information collected to provide the basic functionality of UTU Protocol. Specifically, we may show your provided feedback or other signals on an entity based on data about you, to other users. If anonymity constraints
- have not been set up by the user, we will show such feedback and signals together with one of the user’s (user-)names as provided by connected social media account or decentralised ids.
- have been set up by the user we will show such feedback and signals in a way which adheres to the user’s set anonymity constraints.
We may further use provided information to improve the functionality and performance of UTU Protocol and UTU’s related products. This information may also be used to provide support and respond to user inquiries.
Specifically, we may use the information collected to:
- Identify and troubleshoot technical issues with the extension;
- Monitor usage patterns to identify areas where our products could be improved;
- Respond to questions or concerns about the extension;
- Communicate with users about updates, new features, or other relevant information;
- Research improved or new methods to provide better signals in the context of UTU Protocol.
Sharing of Information
We do not share or sell any personal information collected through UTU Protocol or any of UTU’s related products. However, we may share aggregated, non-personally-identifying information with third-party partners for the purpose of improving UTU Protocol, our related products or services.
Data Rights for Browser Extension Users
UTU believes fundamentally in the preservation of the User’s right to control how their data is being used and their right to withdraw usage of their data at any given point in time. These are the following rights UTU’s browser extension users will have:
- Right to access: you have the right to obtain confirmation that your Data are processed and to obtain a copy of it as well as certain information related to its processing.
- Right to rectify: you can request the rectification of your Data, which are inaccurate, and add to it. You can also change your personal information in your Account at any time.
- Right to delete: in general, you can have your off-chain data deleted on request at any time. In some cases, where some of such data is required to maintain integrity of the system, this data will be retained but any link to personal identifiable information about the user will be removed. Data which is on blockchains, especially public ones, generally cannot be deleted because of the immutability of blockchains.
- Right to object: you can object, for reasons relating to your particular situation, to the processing of your Data. For instance, you have the right to object to commercial prospection.
- Right to limit the processing: you can specify how your data may be used (in some cases this might require deletion or unlinking the data from your personal identifiable information; see also “Right to delete”).
- Right to portability: in some cases, you can ask to receive your Data which you have provided to us in a structured, commonly used and machine-readable format, or, when this is possible, that we communicate your Data on your behalf directly to another data controller.
- Right to withdraw your consent: for processing requiring your consent, you have the right to withdraw your consent at any time. Exercising this right does not affect the lawfulness of the processing based on the consent given before the withdrawal of the latter.
- Right to lodge complaint to the relevant data protection authority.
You can send any of such requests or questions to [email protected]
UTU may further provide user interfaces in our products to manage data usage permissions and deletion.
We take reasonable measures to protect your personal information and prevent unauthorized access, use, or disclosure. This includes using industry-standard encryption and security protocols, as well as limiting access to personal information to only those employees, contractors, and agents who need access to perform their job functions. In addition, we regularly review our security measures to ensure that they are up-to-date and effective in keeping your information secure.
Please note that while we take all reasonable measures to protect your personal information, no method of transmission over the internet or electronic storage is completely secure. Therefore, we cannot guarantee absolute security. By using UTU Protocol and UTU’s related products, you acknowledge and accept the inherent risks associated with transmitting personal information over the internet.
Changes to Policy